It’s a long weekend here, and long weekends mean two things: the weather turns rubbish; and somehow I manage to waste so much time on some ridiculous venture that I achieve nothing useful all weekend, and may as well have been at work.
True to form, the cold weather has returned, and I spent many many hours on Sunday night and Monday morning trying to retrieve a very very bad yarn situation.
It all revolved around a skein of Posh Yarn Cecilia in a medium cool green colour, a recent purchase from a destasher on eBay. I completely fell in love with this yarn once I saw the sample knit of Dark Red Pretties from A Stitch in Time, which uses the most beautiful red. I was happy to finally get my hands on some, as I can’t face the Posh Yarn update frenzy to buy some direct from the website.
Sadly the yarn was in a far from pristine condition when I got it, and looked as if someone had spilled their dinner on it or something equally disgusting. No problem, just gave it a quick soak in cool water, and hung it up to dry for a day or so.
I didn’t think to check if the skein was tied properly. Turns out, it wasn’t. The strands of yarn looked a bit squiggly and unruly after the wash, so I set about re-skeining it.
Oh dear. Cobweb laceweight cashmere/silk is delicate stuff. It’s light, it’s soft, and it loves to stick to itself. Every time I touched the yarn it got worse, until I ended up with a gigantic pile of yarn ramen. It was horrendous. My flatmate came home, shook her head, and said that I must be incredibly patient. Well, I’m not, and I absolutely hate untangling yarn. So I took the scissors to it.
Uh-oh. I’d hoped that cutting through the really tangly outside bits would leave me with a nice neat section of yarn to work with. Nope. Once I started trying to remove all the bits I’d sliced and diced, the rest of the yarn just kept tangling. It was wasn’t playing fair. Every few minutes or so I considered just throwing the whole lot in the bin, but I couldn’t bring myself to do it. It’s hand-dyed! It’s cashmere and silk! I couldn’t let it just go to waste.
It was in such a state that I finally gave up at 2am, and tried again in the morning. Half a day went by before I managed to salvage something of the yarn. After untold hours (I refuse to count just how many; it would make me cry) I finally reached the end.
I still had a giant ball of yarn carnage:
But at least I had some usable yarn too. Compared to the noodley scraps it doesn’t look like much, but I saved 77g of the 100g skein.
Considering that a big chunk of my long weekend was devoted to this squiggly mess, I’m not sure it was quite worth it. I definitely won’t be wanting to knit with it for some time, that’s for certain.