It seems to be such a rare occassion for me to ever finish a knitted project (and this blog is a testament to that). There are a couple of clear reasons for that:
a). I don’t actually spend much time knitting. Partly because I get caught up in the whole meta aspect of it (Ravelry, I’m looking at you), and partly because I work full time, study part time, occasionally have a life outside of that, and stuff just gets in the way. I generally manage a bit of knitting time on the weekends, but weekdays are pretty useless.
b). I have so many works-in-progress (many of which are more accurately described as unfinished objects, considering how long it’s been since I’ve touched them) that if I do a few rows here, a few rows there, picking up numerous projects from time to time, none ever actually reach a stage of completion.
Over the next few months, I’m going to try really really hard to finish stuff. But I’m going to need encouragement and clear goals.
So before I can work on finishing these WIPs and UFOs, I need to take stock of how many there actually are. In all their glory, here are the ones that I could find…
From L-R: Kusha Kusha, Union Square Market Pullover, Backyard Leaves, one Orchid Lace Mitt, half an Anna sock, Coraline. There are also a few Missing in Action, such as a solitary Cabled Mitten which has disappeared, and I’m pretty sure I started a Branching Out at some point too.
Name: Kusha Kusha
Reason for WIP status: It’s a hell of a lot of stocking stitch in cobweb weight yarn. This will take forever. But I’m confident that it will be worth it. Good for taking along for mindless knitting sessions.
Name: Union Square Market Pullover
Reason for WIP status: Again, another very slow project. I saw this pattern on the cover of Interweave Knits way back in 2005 and it’s what spurred me to buy my first knitting mag (it was early days!) Again, this is in very fine yarn but oh, it’s the most gorgeous yarn in the world. Plain black stocking stitch may be very wearable, but not so interesting to knit. I’ve started casting off for the sleeves, but after trying it on again (after a year of neglect) I think it needs to be longer, so there’s some frogging to do.
Name: Backyard Leaves
Reason for WIP status: I started this years ago, after buying the ubiquitous Scarf Style book. It’s the most complicated charted pattern I’ve tried. The scarf is knit in two sections and I’ve managed to complete the first half, but it’s then languished for at least a year or so. Am giving this one another go now, but it will still take a long time as it takes a bit more focus than I’m used to.
Orchid Lace Mitts
Reason for WIP status: One mitt completed. Will have to force myself to do the second one. I found this pattern quite frustrating, so it took a while to get through. I’ve decided that I won’t wear them at the current length, so I’m thinking about ripping back to re-do as shorter mitts. This will require much determination and a deep breath.
Reason for WIP status: No real reason, other than my usual knitting ADD. I’m using my favourite toe-up method and just using the stitch pattern from the Rowan mag. I’ll keep plugging away.
Reason for WIP status: Oh, this one has broken my heart. The pattern is worked from the bottom up, so there’s miles and miles of stocking stitch before you get to the interesting bits. I soon discovered that my gauge was off, so I tried to sneak in extra stitches in the name of ‘waist shaping’. That was a bit touch and go. Then I took it off the needles and had a good look at it, and discovered that I really wasn’t happy with the way that the slip-stitch edging was causing the fronts to pucker. Ten minutes after taking these photos, Coraline was frogged and is now just a giant ball of crinkly alpaca. I don’t think I have the heart to try again on this one.
I’m really glad that I dusted off all these WIPs and got them out in to the fresh air. I can’t help but wonder how many of my 25 neighbours were watching though.